Italian court orders little girl to be returned after her mother refused to return her following fatal cable car crash

Pope Francis The 6-year-old survivor of a cable car crash in Italy must be returned to Italy, where she was the sole survivor of the disaster, a court in the capital ordered on Thursday….

Italian court orders little girl to be returned after her mother refused to return her following fatal cable car crash

Pope Francis

The 6-year-old survivor of a cable car crash in Italy must be returned to Italy, where she was the sole survivor of the disaster, a court in the capital ordered on Thursday.

The boy’s mother was reportedly beaten during an intense custody battle after the horrifying May 6 accident when a passenger vehicle she was traveling in crashed into a cable on a slippery slope while the vehicle was barely 50 feet above the ground.

Authorities in the village of Rondoneo, near Taranto, said the woman, identified by Italian media as Nunzia Savino, and her three children were traveling in a cable car home from a picnic when the vehicle fell off the roof of the train, killing another woman.

Savino later went on the run with her son, from whom she had been separated for several months. She was apprehended in Piedmont, Italy, on Sept. 10, but was released a day later because of alleged procedural problems by a judge.

The child had been placed in a foster home in the neighboring city of Turin and was given foster care for a week before being brought to Rome by a government official, Italian media reported at the time. The child was then allowed to stay for several days with a family friend in Rome before the family allegedly removed the child from the city. The news organization refused to name the friend.

The Archdiocese of Rome said the child was being taken care of with her uncle. But Savino’s relatives in her hometown have said they will fight to have her son returned to them, a source told The Washington Post.

On Thursday, a court in Rome ordered that the child must be returned to her legal guardians. The two-page ruling by a Rome court specified that the Italian and national media rights of Savino and her son “are invalid.”

The ruling cited a clause in Italian law that says the couple “has exhausted all fair and legal possibilities for reunion” and thus “must no longer be allowed to apply for the return of the 6-year-old child to the family in Italy.”

The ruling was issued by the court in order to find “closure” in the case, according to a statement posted to the archdiocese’s Facebook page. The family has the right to appeal the ruling.

The boy’s uncle, Marco Benassi, told Italian media after the ruling that his family’s religious faith would guide the way forward, according to Radio 24. “Faith will be our guide through the experience, but the family, the community, will have to decide the way ahead,” he said.

Savino’s relatives, however, are planning to appeal the decision, claiming that the ruling was flawed because it did not take into account the state of her health and mental state, The Wall Street Journal reported.

“There is no healing from this,” the brother of Savino’s youngest child, identified only as Michelangelo, told the newspaper. “We want to replace what is lost.”

Leave a Comment