This article is over 1 year old
Former F1 driver is said to be responsive and discharged from hospital in Bologna
Former Formula One driver Alex Zanardi has been transferred to a specialist neuro-rehabilitation center in Bologna.
He was moved from Piedmont hospital in Bologna to the San Ferdinando hospital early on Monday.
His lawyer Elisabetta Prunier told Rai 24: “In the past few days, Alex had lost consciousness and, with the medication that the medical staff gave him, he was close to dying.
“After careful and constant intervention he regained consciousness last night. Today, he left in a private car with his family. His condition is improving by the hour.”
On Sunday he was taken out of intensive care and now he has been placed in a special ward.
Zanardi, who is 47, has been in hospital since last month after breaking his neck in a car crash.
He has been undergoing intensive physiotherapy.
Zanardi crashed his car at the 2011 Italian Grand Prix when he came off in a high-speed formation race during practice for the race.
After recovering to learn he had only a fractured neck and did not need surgery, he rebuilt his life around racing, launching Alex Zanardi MotoGP Force, a team for aspiring MotoGP riders, and competing again in 2011 on his own bike.